A dish you should certainly try if you visit Peru or any other Latin American country is arroz con leche (rice with milk). Many people have tried it, but not so many know how to make it. Here are the steps to prepare it.
- 3-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1-1/4 cup of water
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup of rice uncooked (more if many)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- Sugar to taste
- 1/3 cup of raisins (optional)
- Place the rice and the cinnamon in a heavy pot with water. Soak for one hour before cooking.
- Pour the milk in the pot with the rice. Bring it to a boil.
- When the milk is boiling, lower heat. Wait for the rice to cook over low heat.
- When rice is very well cooked, add the 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and sweet condensed milk or some sugar to taste. The condensed milk is optional, depending on how sweet you want the finished product to be.
- Stir the mixture constantly until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Let it cool.
- Serve with a dusting of ground cinnamon. Add raisins too, if using.
- Garnish with a sliver of a cinnamon stick.
- This would go very well accompanied by mazamorra morada, made from purple corn.
- Cover raisins with rum and let them sit in it overnight for a more delicious flavor.
- For a different flavor, try adding a pinch of cocoa powder.
- There is a lot more flavor with 2-3 cinnamon sticks than with the powder.
- Try adding some fruit while you are cooking it.
- How to Cook Rice
- How to Cook White Rice Peruvian Style
- How to Make Mazamorra Morada
- How to Prepare Chicha Morada
- How to Make Rice Pudding
- How to Make Leche Flan